Find the best collection of quotes by a Boxer of the Decade Sugar Ray Leonard, who was the first boxer to earn more than $100 million in purses.
Sugar Ray Leonard Popular Quotes
- Spread your love and fly.
- You just don’t heal that easy unless you’re young
- You have to know you can win. You have to think you can win. You have to feel you can win.
- Within our dreams and aspirations we find our opportunities.
- I want to be great, something special.
- People can do more than they ever believe they can do. Physically, mentally, academically. You have to be pushed. It hurts. But it’s worth it, and it’s a great thing.
- Although it was a great accomplishment to win a gold medal, as soon as they put it on you, that’s it; your career is over.
- We’re all endowed with God-given talents. Mine happens to be hitting people in the head.
- Look at football, where you still have injuries no matter how much they improve the helmets and other equipment.
- I’ve always been quiet and kind of shy. I’m sociable, but I would probably migrate to a corner.
- I’m a competitor and a very proud man. If a guy beats me once, he’ll have to do it again to make me believe him.
- Generally, the more weight you put on, the less effective you are
- I’m not religious, but I believe that what I have is a gift, and I respect it and live up to it
- Ali’s belief in himself was something I picked up on, and it’s become my own philosophy
- I think an athlete should be honest. I know it’s difficult, but if a guy knocked me on my can, I couldn’t very well say, I slipped.
- I lay around and wonder why you were always there for me.
Sugar Ray Leonard Quotes on Boxing
- Inactivity is the biggest sin in boxing.
- Boxing was not something I truly enjoyed. Like a lot of things in life, when you put the gloves on, it’s better to give than to receive.
- I tried the gloves on, and it just felt so natural. From that moment I became so embedded in boxing. I found a friend in boxing.
- Boxing was the only career where I wouldn’t have to start out at the bottom. I had a good resume.
- I think I’ve become one of the best finishers in boxing; if I hurt a guy, I normally take him out.
- You don’t play boxing. You really don’t. You play golf, you play tennis, but you don’t play boxing.
- Boxing brings out my aggressive instinct, not necessarily a killer instinct.
- Boxing’s a poor man’s sport. We can’t afford to play golf or tennis. It is what it is. It’s kept so many kids off the street. It kept me off the street
- I fought tall fighters, short fighters, strong fighters, slow fighters, sluggers and boxers. It was either learn or get knocked off.
- I was painfully initiated into boxing, because the guys I fought were a lot bigger than me.
- I’m so opposite of my profession. No one – particularly my mother and father – ever thought I was going to be a boxer because I always felt that football and baseball were too dangerous. I was just such a quiet kid.
- When I was 15 or 16 and I started climbing up the ladder of success in amateur boxing, a reporter asked me, “What do you want to be?” I think he was expecting me to say, “A champion.” I said, “I want to be special.” I don’t know why I said that, but I didn’t just want to be a fighter. I wanted to have an impact with people, particularly kids.
- Boxing is the ultimate challenge. There’s nothing that can compare to testing yourself the way you do every time you step in the ring.
- I found boxing when I was 14 years old. I went down to the gym because my brother, who used to beat me up all the time, introduced me to boxing. I found boxing to be a sport that I felt safe in because I controlled what was in those four squares.
Sugar Ray Leonard Quotes on Training
- Everything you want to know about a fighter is in his eyes. The look in his eyes tells the truth.
- A fighter never knows when it’s the last bell. He doesn’t want to face that.
- The only way for a fighter to get back in shape is to fight his way back.
- To be the best, you need to spend hours and hours and hours running, hitting the speed bag, lifting weights and focusing on training.
- When I’m not in training. I’ll walk around the streets at 153, but it’s not solid; it’s my socializing weight.
- If I hadn’t had the talent, the networks wouldn’t have televised my fights. No one has made me; I made myself. I paid my dues
Sugar Ray Leonard Quotes on Fighting
- Before I fight, I always pray that no one gets hurt.
- I remember all the important fights. Vividly. In detail.
- My ambition is not to be just a good fighter. I want to be great, something special.
- My toughest fight was myself. For me to disclose and let things out was not easy because we don’t want to seem weak or like we are different, but I learned that it’s okay.
- Before the start of the ’76 Olympics, I’d had 160 amateur fights. I won 155 and lost five
- Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest pound-for-pound fighter of all time.
- I’m a free agent. I haven’t allowed any promoters to have exclusive options on my fight. I don’t need a promoter.
Sugar Ray Leonard Challenging Quotes
- I always expect unexpected challenges.
- While each of us faces enormous challenges every day, it’s not the sins we commit that will define us, its how we respond to them.
- It is wonderful. It truly is. It is the only thing that is real! It’s you against me, it’s challenging another guy’s manhood. With gloves. Words cannot describe that feeling of being a man, of being a gladiator, of being a warrior. It’s irreplaceable.
Sugar Ray Leonard Motivational Quotes
- It’s hard to talk about yourself
- Bruce Lee was an artist and, like him, I try to go beyond the fundamentals of my sport. I want the public to see a knockout in the making.
- Someone once said there was a comparison between Sugar Ray Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson. Believe me, there’s no comparison. Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest.
- I’ll think, If this is his first punch, how are the others gonna feel? That’s the only fear I have for myself
- No one but myself thought I could beat guys like Tommy Hearns or Roberto Duran
- Were all given some sort of skill in life. Mine just happens to be beating up on people.
- I’ve always believed that you can be whatever you want to be if you are willing to sacrifice and dedicate yourself.
- I enjoyed [Celebrity Ghost Stories]. I never thought in a million years that I would tell people that I saw a ghost. And I’ve seen a lot of ghosts.
- When we got back to the U.S., I wanted to kiss the ground after seeing what people in other countries are denied or don’t have.
- Holyfield is nothing but class, and I think he’s a breath of fresh air for the sport.
- My very best memory of Montreal was the moment inside the Olympic arena when I was waiting under the stadium and those majestic gates opened up. It was a whole other world.
Sugar Ray Leonard Inspirational Quotes
- I’ve never believed in tying myself up in a long-range contract, and I’ve been very outspoken on that subject.
- I want my fights to be seen as plays that have a beginning, a middle and an end
- Success is attaining your dream while helping others to benefit from that dream materializing.
- I consider myself blessed. I consider you blessed. We’ve all been blessed with God-given talents. Mine just happens to be beating people up.
- It’s different when you become a professional, because you also have to become a businessman, and that takes something away from it
- I wouldnt change anything because the mistakes and the hurt are as important as all the great fights. They made me who I am today.