Find the best quotes by America’s successful business magnate and founder and CEO of Dell Inc Michael Dell.
Michael Dell Quotes on Success
- There is no better catalyst to success than curiosity.
- You don’t have to be a genius or a visionary or even a college graduate to be successful. You just need a framework and a dream.
- There are a lot of things that go into creating success. I don’t like to do just the things I like to do. I like to do things that cause the company to succeed. I don’t spend a lot of time doing my favorite activities.
- Recognize that there will be failures, and acknowledge that there will be obstacles. But you will learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others, for there is very little learning in success.
- If you’re happy, that’s probably the most important thing. Everyone probably has their own definition of success, for me it’s happiness. Do I enjoy what I’m doing? Do I enjoy the people I’m with? Do I enjoy my life?
- People have often told us that what we wanted to do couldn’t be done. Our success is due, in part, to not just an ability but a willingness to look at things differently. I believe opportunity is part instinct and part immersion—in an industry, a subject, or an area of expertise. Dell is proof that people can learn to recognize and take advantage of opportunities that others are convinced don’t exist.
- People ask me all the time, ‘How can I become a successful entrepreneur?’ And I have to be honest: It’s one of my least favorite questions, because if you’re waiting for someone else’s advice to become an entrepreneur, chances are you’re not one.
Michael Dell Quote on Technology
- Our business is about technology, yes. But it’s also about operations and customer relationships.
Michael Dell Quotes on Business
- I always knew I wanted to run a business someday.
- It had always made sense to me to build a business based on what people really wanted, rather than guess what we thought they might want.
- Every breakthrough business idea begins with solving a common problem. The bigger the problem, the bigger the opportunity. I discovered a big one when I took apart an IBM PC. I made two interesting discoveries: The components were all manufactured by other companies, and the system that retailed for $3,000 cost about $600 in parts.
- One of the things I benefited from when I started this business was that I didn’t know anything. I was just instinct with no preconceived notions. This enabled me to learn and change quickly without having to worry about maintaining any kind of status quo, like some of my bigger competitors.
Michael Dell Quotes on Innovation
- If you look at innovation, it doesn’t just occur in the lab.
- Collaboration equals innovation.
- By questioning all the aspects of our business, we continuously inject improvement and innovation into our culture.
- You just have to change. To be successful, what you have to do is have an acceptance of risk and you have to be pretty explicit about that, because if you don’t accept risk, you don’t get any innovation. And that means part of risk is you have to accept failure because not everything works.
Michael Dell Quotes on Winning
- Each day that you’re moving toward your dreams without compromising who you are, you’re winning.
- The key is to listen to your heart and let it carry you in the direction of your dreams. I’ve learned that it’s possible to set your sights high and achieve your dreams and do it with integrity, character, and love. And each day that you’re moving toward your dreams without compromising who you are you’re winning.
Michael Dell Quotes on Work
- Ignore the people who tell you it won’t work, and hire people who embrace your vision.
- Whether you’ve found your calling, or if you’re still searching, passion should be the fire that drives your life’s work.
- Sometimes you just have to belly up to the bar and take a chance. We made some mistakes, but we also had the strength to work our way out.
- I was, you know, rebellious–an 18, 19-year-old and just did what I wanted to do and all worked out OK.
- We’ve found that customers are very open. They’ll tell you what’s going on, what’s working and what’s not. They’re looking for help.
- The point is, you can’t keep doing the same thing and expect it to keep working.
- If you want to sustain excellence over a long time, you’d better come up with a system that works well. Anyone can sprint for a little while, but you can’t sprint for forty years.
Michael Dell Famous Quotes
- Ideas are commodity. Execution of them is not.
- Anything that can be measured can be improved.
- You can’t be afraid to fail because that’s when you learn.
- It’s through curiosity and looking at opportunities in new ways that we’ve always mapped our path at Dell. There’s always an opportunity to make a difference.
- Real entrepreneurs have what I call the three Ps (and, trust me, none of them stands for ‘permission’). Real entrepreneurs have a ‘passion’ for what they’re doing, a ‘problem’ that needs to be solved, and a ‘purpose’ that drives them forward.
- I do think a founder has special permission to make sweeping changes across an organization.
- Don’t spend so much time trying to choose the perfect opportunity, that you miss the right opportunity.
- 15. “We have enormous potential to keep growing. It provides lots of learning opportunity for me and it’s fun to see how so many people, so many communities are affected in a positive way by what we’re doing here. I love my job and I’m not giving it up.
- Try never to be the smartest person in the room. And if you are, I suggest you invite smarter people … or find a different room.
- We are all gifts to each other, and my own growth as a leader has shown me again and again that the most rewarding experiences come from my relationships.
Michael Dell Inspirational Quotes
- Regrets are born of paths never taken.
- Celebrate for a nanosecond.
- The very thing you fear could be the best thing to ever happen to you.
- It’s easy to decide what you’re going to do. The hard thing is deciding what you’re not going to do.
- I had to give it a full go and see what happened.
- The idea of being all things to all people is a thing of the past.
- If we have 99% [market] share of Ford Company, the question to us is ‘How do we improve the customer satisfaction in order to get that additional 1% share?
- It’s exciting to see how fast your kids learn and grow. I’m not too worried about them, particularly the ones who like to break rules and don’t follow instructions; those are the ones that will do just fine because they know what’s important to them.
- It’s customers that made Dell great in the first place, and if we’re smart enough and quick enough to listen to customer needs, we’ll succeed.
- Sometimes it’s better not to ask-or to listen-when tell you something can’t be done. I didn’t ask for permission or approval. I just went ahead and did it.
- As you start your journey, the first thing you should do is throw away that store-bought map and begin to draw your own.
- I started Dell 28 yrs ago with $1000. Revenues in 1984 were $6 million. Last year $62.1 billion. Impossible is nothing.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. Get out there and experiment and learn and fail and get a rate based on the experiences you have. Go for it and when you go for it you’ll learn what you’re capable of, what the potential is, where the opportunities are, but you can’t be afraid to fail because that’s when you learn.
- If you have to go through life being unhappy to conform to society around you, that’s not a very good deal.
- With the understanding that you will face tough times and amazing experiences, you must also commit to the adventure. Just have faith in the skills and the knowledge you’ve been blessed with and go.